How to Boost Your Immune System during Radioactive Times The Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan was never certified to withstand a quake greater than 7.9 and was opened in 1970, barely 50 years after the 8.3 Kanto quake. At a magnitude 8.9, the first earthquake of its kind in 140 years, the world sits stunned.
The meltdown of these Japanese nuclear power plants have the very real potential to contaminate a large portion of the Pacific Ocean, Alaska and the Western United States. With leaking nuclear plants in Japan, there will be radiation moving across the Pacific in the next weeks and months. The wind patterns bring it first toward the west coast of the United States then on across the continent to be dispersed throughout the world.
The smallest nano-particles suspend the longest and are considered more dangerous because they have a longer life. The water and rainfall will likely infiltrate water supply and effect our nation’s food supply for a period up to two years, and probably longer.
It’s important that we help ourselves and each other in this crisis, instead of feeling helpless. Besides a big dose of courage, please know that there are foods and herbs that can greatly reduce the risk of radiation poisoning.
The spiking demand to obtain potassium iodide to protect against radiation exposure may also prove foolish – many are using it preemptively, which can cause problems of its own – indeed, reactions that resemble radiation poisoning. Ironic. We have seen them sell as high as $600.00 for a pack of 24 on eBay.
After any sort of radioactive exposure you want to be eating seaweeds and algaes along with almost any type of commercial heavy metal chelating formula to bind radioactive particles and help escort them out of the body. Many nutritional supplements have been developed for the purpose of detoxifying heavy metals, most of which contain algaes, plant fibers and other binding substances.
Basically, an anti-radiation program should focus on the following:
- 1. Seaweed: Nori, wakame, kombu, hijiki, seapalm, bladderwrack – it’s all good! Higher in iodine are bladderwrack (focus spp), kombu and Icelandic kelp. Add them to your soups, beans and grains when you cook them. Put powdered seaweed on your meals. Make a seaweed tea to add to cooking. The iodine in seaweed helps protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine uptake. The sodium alginate mucilage binds to radioactive particles and moves them out of the body.
- 2. Miso: all are made with live cultures, though not all are living when sold. Even so, miso is rich in essential amino acids, minerals, and protein. Use as a spread on crackers, as a soup base or blended in dips like humus.
- 3. Mushrooms: Strengthen your immune system and reduce mutant cell formation by eating wild or shitake mushrooms, use dried reishi mushrooms in soups; consider taking a medicinal mixed mushroom supplement.
- 4. Eat whole Foods: Especially root veggies like daikon, burdock, turmeric, ginger, garlic, carrots, beets, parsnips and turnips. Also include plenty of leafy greens including sprouts, which are anti-oxidant rich. Chlorophyll is a natural detoxifier and blood builder, especially cilantro, parsley, asparagus, apples and artichoke. Chose organic legumes, nuts and seeds (sesame, hemp, pumpkin, chia, brazil) and stick with cultured dairy.
- 5. Add Superfoods to your diet. These include wheatgrass, oatgrass, spirulina, chlorella etc. Consider getting a freeze-dried greens supplement and have 1-3 heaping TB a day in fresh veggie juice, smoothies or water. Brewer’s yeast is good too. Blended freeze-dried greens store well as emergency food.
- 6. Eat Mucilaginous fibers: ground or soaked flaxseed, chia seed, oat bran, okra, apple pectin, wheat germ, acacia, comfrey leaf and aloe. The mucilage nets toxins and draws them out of the bowel.
- 7. Gather your wild greens: fresh nettles are up, along with chickweed, cleavers, plantain. Drink tonic herbal teas like ‘nettlemint’ that provide the trace minerals your body needs.
- 8. DRINK LOTS of CLEAN WATER! This is especially important and will help flush your system.
- 9. Support your Immune System: do the things you know boost your immunity like sleeping well, laughing often, eating immune-enhancing foods, taking probiotics, while limiting or excluding sugar, alcohol, caffeine, cheese and refined goodies. Make a wellness soup or potassium broth (recipes in Botanical Body Care book). Take liver support herbs like milk thistle, dandelion, sarsaparilla, bulpleurum, red clover, ‘Liver Tea’, or a liver tonic tincture. A healthy liver produces more glutathione (GSH), which enables the body to detoxify. NAC is a precursor to glutathione and sold as a supplement. Assist the kidneys by drinking some ‘Kidney Tea’ every week. iron inhibits the absorption of plutonium-238 and plutonium-239. Vitamin B-12 inhibits cobalt-60 uptake (used in nuclear medicine), zinc inhibits zinc-65 uptake and sulfur (MSM), is preventative for sulfur-35 (a product of nuclear reactors) incorporation by the body.
- 10. Consider doing some light bowel cleansing to draw heavy metals out. A sound whole foods diet with the addition of fiber and small amounts of bentonite clay or zeolite can be done for 3 weeks at a time. Bowels must keep moving and plenty of water consumed as you take in a large glass of water, a level teaspoon of liquid bentonite or 1/2 tsp of powdered bentonite with a fiber (flax, psyllium, pectin) or 1 level tsp of American Botanical Pharmacy formula#2 each evening, or both morning and evening if you feel the need. If this slows the colon, take more fiber and water and consider Triphala caps or tabs and/or magnesium to help move things through. There are also homeopathic remedies that help mitigate symptoms of detox (please ask a health practitioner).
- 11. Sweat! via exercise, saunas and baths . . Use clay in a bath with Epsom salt and baking soda for a detoxing soak. You can also take a seaweed bath . . . and take a deep breath . . .
- 12. LOVE: send prayers, love and healing thoughts for those who need it most. Instead of stressing out or shutting down, let your anger, fear, and grief flow – crying, making art, writing, dancing are potent ways to detox. Stay connected, loving and supportive. Flower remedies help as well.
This is an extra good time to take care of yourself and boost your immune system. Be well!
Dr. Schulze’s Superfood Plus!
14oz Jar Whole Food Mineral Nutritional Supplement Meal Replacement POWDER – (Amazing Stuff!)
Sea’s Gift Korean Seaweed Snack
(Kim Nori), Roasted & Sea Salted, 0.2-Ounce Bags (Pack of 24)
101 Uses for Stinging Nettles (Book)
Planetary Formulas Freeze-Dried Stinging Nettles
420 mg, Tablets, 120 tablets
Nettle Leaf Organic Cut & Sifted
Nettle Leaf Tea – 24 Bags
Dr. Schulze’s Bowel Cleansing Formulae
Seaweed Bath Salt
Healthy Liver Tonic
Fungi Perfecti Host Defense
17 powerful mushroom species for immune system health
60 Count, 3.2-Ounce
Healthforce Vitamineral Green
Bone Strength Take Care
Bladderwrack Fresh Freeze-Dried 600mg 45 GelCaps
by Eclectic Institute Inc.
Health King Kidney Fortifier Herb Tea